01 July, 2013

The European Mama

A few days ago I was lucky enough to guest post on The European Mama, a fantastic site discussing the ins and outs of multilingual living here in the Netherlands.

I shared the story of what I call my Sliding Doors moment.  That moment in time where life could have gone one way, or in the complete opposite direction.  For me it was being dumped.  In my navel gazing moments, I sometimes wonder what would have happened to me if we had stayed together.  It by all means was not a long relationship, it was a defining one in my life.  Here's a snippet of the article:
It was December 27, 2002.  I was visiting my boyfriend, blissfully happy and looking forward to the future.  Completely out of the blue he took my heart and smashed it into a million pieces.  He couldn’t give me a reason why, but proceeded to string me along for six more months leading me to believe that there was a chance we would get back together and live happily ever after.
More than ten years later I realise that day way back in 2002 was my sliding doors moment.  Remember that movie where Gwyneth Paltrow lives two lives in parallel and sports two equally horrific haircuts?  It was the moment in time where my life could have gone in two completely different directions...... Read more



Olga is a Polish born, multilingual parent living in Holland with her German husband and three small children. I have no idea how I found Olga, but all of a sudden her fabulous blog was on my must-read list.  It should be on yours, too.

What we are talking about

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...